Wednesday, November 03, 2010

NaBloPoMo here we go, now with inappropriate fart jokes

I recognize I am already two days late, but by golly, I need some kind of inspiration to actually sit down and write here.

I will break my long hiatus with a simple story that illustrates life with an 3.5 year-old-boy.

Yesterday morning, I played a Care Bears movie on my computer so that I could lay in bed awhile longer while boy watched the movie. When the movie was over, I suggested that we go eat breakfast.

Boy: No, we have to hide under the covers. Get under the covers, mommy.
Me: Okay, but why are we hiding?

Boy: Because there are monsters outside.
Me: Oh, no. Monsters? What will we do?

Boy: It's okay. The Mighty Shark is here. He will protect us. Go outside Mighty Shark.

Boy lifts covers so the Mighty Shark can get outside. 

Me: What is he doing out there?

Boy: He is eating all of the monsters. 

Boy lifts covers.

Boy: Come back inside Mighty Shark. Mommy, the Mighty Shark eated all the monsters!

Me: Phew, what a relief.

Boy (in stage whisper): Mighty Shark, pull mine finger.
Mighty Shark (performed by boy): Okay. Doodleootleoot! (sound effect to indicate said finger pulling) 

Boy: PPPPHfffffffTTTTTT (fart noise).

At which point, I laughed so hard that I cried.
Fast forward to later that day, approximately 11:45PM. Boy is asleep in our bed. Hyrum and I climb into bed, and I proceed to tell him about the events of the day, and as I begin recounting the Mighty Shark fart story, I can hardly get the words out because I am laughing so hard. At some point, boy wakes up and hears me telling the story, and of course takes advantage of this opportunity to illustrate more fart noises.

For the next 15 minutes, the three of lie in bed, giggling hysterically, because every time the giggles died down, someone (not ME, of course...okay I'm lying...I was totally one of the instigators) would make a new fart noise. The BOY was the one who finally said it was time to sleep, and instituted the Quiet Game.

This is not what I envisioned parenting would be like. It's so much better.



No comments:

Post a Comment