Friday, November 05, 2010

Sex...what they want to know

I am teaching Introduction to Psychology this semester. I allot extra time to talk about sex, sexual motivation, and sexual orientation. I leave a drop box at the back of the classroom so students can submit questions anonymously. Where else can they ask? Most of the kids students in the course are in their first year of college--it's the first time they are away from home, with more freedom than they've ever experienced. I think it's really important to inform them about sex.

What kinds of questions did I get this year? I have tried to answer them here to the best of my knowledge, but if you know more about something, please chime in. I will be editing my answers for the class.

  • Why do guys like it doggy style so much?
    • I don't know how to answer this. Have you considered asking one of them? I know a lot of women who like it too, myself included.
  • What is the best time to have sex if you want to get pregnant?
    • Did you pay attention in health class? Wait, did you even have sex ed in high school? There's a good chance the answer is no, or that you had a version of sex ed that was "don't do it until you're married". I'm gonna go find some charts and graphs for class.
  • What is a G-spot and where is it?
  • Is it okay to start having sex without a condom, then add one before ejaculation/half-way through?
    • This is a perfect example of why I want you to submit questions. You are headed for disaster.
  • What causes whiskey dick? How can they prevent it?
    • I think the cause, and solution, are implied in the term.
  • Is it more fun to have sex when you're high?
    • High on what? I would like to answer your question, but I don't remember. Just kidding. Sort of.
  • Is there something wrong if a female doesn't orgasm during sex?
    • "Wrong"? I'm not a fan of that word. Do you mean physically wrong? Probably not. Does she ever orgasm? Is she bothered by not having orgasms during sex? Does she orgasm through masturbation? Many women have trouble achieving orgasm during intercourse, but can still orgasm through masturbation. Very few women orgasm with only vaginal stimulation--most require some sort of clitoral stimulation.
  • Does size matter?
    • Size of what? Heh. 
  • For gay men, why is it more pleasurable to have the penis go in the anus instead of the vagina?
    • Maybe because they don't have vaginas? I think you are asking why they prefer anuses instead of vaginas? I think it more about preferring men, as whole people, rather than a particular body part. Also, not all gay men are into anal sex.
  • Can you get pregnant on your period?
    • Yes.
  • How have casual sexual relationships undermined the future relationships of today's youth and young adults? Does casual sex affect the monogamy of a relationship later in an individual's life?
    • You're religious, aren't you? I don't know how to answer this. Are you asking whether people who have casual sex will later cheat because they had casual sex? A better question would relate to intimacy. If someone only likes casual sex, they probably have problems with intimacy. Those problems with intimacy are what will likely cause problems later. And I'm not sure that young adults today are particularly casual about their sex, from a really broad historical perspective.
  • Why do men wake up with an erection?
    • REM sleep causes genital arousal in men and women. Women just don't get erections.
  • How does one treat orgasmic disorders?
    • This is a big question. For most women, they need to find the clitoris.
  • Why are animals more influenced by sex hormones than humans?
    •  Are they more influenced, or do we fool ourselves? We probably seem less affected because we have TVs.
  • What does sex feel like?
    •  Depends on how you define sex and who you do it with.
  • If a guy ejaculates in a hot tub, can the girl get pregnant?
    • Not likely, but I like Glee too.
  • Is penis curvature normal?
    • Mostly.
  • What is the average penis size?
    • I get this question every year.
  • Are there any taboos left?
    • Depends on who you ask.
  • Are there areas of sexuality that we don't know about?
    • I'm sure there are.
  • Is it true that you can't get pregnant if you have sex in water?
    • No.
  • Can masturbation ruin your sex life?
    • I certainly hope not. I think the consensus is that it helps.
  • What is the average age to lose your virginity?
    • Depends on the culture. In the United States it's around 17, but there are ethnic/cultural variations. In Japan, it's closer to 22.
  • When do kids become curious about sex?
    • Define sex. Kids are curious about everything.
  • What sort of "sexual" behavior do young kids exhibit?
    •  I don't know if it's "sexual", but they will stimulate their genitals at about the same age that they disover them.
  • What happens if you bleed after sex?
    • If it's just a little blood, nothing. If it's a lot of blood, you might want to call your health care provider.
  • What if the condom gets stuck?
    • Define "stuck". Stuck inside? Pull it out. Hopefully there is no semen in it yet.
  • Is the pill dangerous?
    • I don't take it. But I also birthed at home and selectively vaccinate. Generally, I don't trust doctors except in emergencies and I don't like messing around with my body chemistry.
  • What are the first signs of pregnancy?
    • A missed period is usually the first sign.
These are the questions that 18-22 year old college students in North Dakota most want to know.

1 comment:

  1. Soooo, of course I had to read THIS post first cause - you know - dude, SEX. And seriously, lmao. But on to doggie style - it feels good and its more anonymous and (and and and) it's mostly comfortable (think of supporting yourself via elbows vs knees) they get a super booty shot and if they're super awesome, they do the old reach around clitoral stimulation. I love doggy style "sigh". - H.A.

    ReplyDelete