Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The menstrual cycle and other wonders

We talked about sex in my introductory psychology class yesterday. I answered the questions that they had submitted. I used this video and this image to discuss the menstrual cycle and pregnancy.

I used this page to discuss why the withdrawal method is not very effective, as well as to address the question, can I have sex without a condom and just put one on before ejaculation?

We discussed the history of the vibrator to "cure" hysteria--I didn't show this slideshow, but I wanted to. We just didn't have enough time. I talked about Freud's views on femininity and a mature female sexual response, such as:
With the change to femininity the clitoris should wholly or in part hand over its sensitivity, and at the same time its importance, to the vagina. 
I love this quote, because in my cartoon brain I see a little clitoris character literally handing something over to the vagina, and the vagina just stands there looking confused.

Many people still feel that there is something "wrong" with a woman if she can't achieve orgasm through vaginal penetration alone. I talked about that for a few minutes too.

On Thursday, we'll be talking about Personality, so we'll discuss Freud some more. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment